St. Herman Of Alaska Orthodox Church

St. Herman Orthodox Christian Church is a parish of the Diocese of the West within the Autocephalous Orthodox Church in America. Autocephalous means self-governing; we elect our own ruling hierarch, and ordain our own clergy. This parish is the first to be named after St. Herman of Alaska, the first canonized Saint of the Orthodox Church of America.

On August 25, 1972, ten members of the Holy Transfiguration of Christ Orthodox Church in Denver met to discuss the possibility of starting a new mission in the Denver area. Archbishop John of San Francisco assigned the rector of Transfiguration Church, Fr. Andrew Harrison, to serve the new mission. The mission became established on October 25, 1972.


The first Divine Liturgy of the new mission was served in the American Legion Hall, 1655 Simms, Lakewood, CO on October 29, 1972. In February 1973, the mission purchased its first property, 937 E Belleview, Cherry Hills Village. When the mission outgrew these facilities they purchased the present property at 991 W. Prentice Ave., Littleton, CO from the Belleview Bible Chapel. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated in the new church on September 4, 1976. Archbishop John of San Francisco consecrated the new church on October 30, 1977, the fifth anniversary of the Parish.

» About Orthodox Christianity...